Winchester STH2034 SUPRM-HV Turkey 10/10
SUPREME® HIGH-VELOCITY MAGNUM TURKEY LOADS
•Copper-plated buffered shot •10 rounds per box 25 boxes per case
20 Ga. 3”
1-5/16 Oz. Shot
4 Shot Size
Franklin Olin, along with his two sons John and Spencer, formed the Western Cartridge Company in direct competition with Remington and Winchester. For a time, his competitors were able to get their suppliers to shut off sources of raw materials in an attempt to drive Olin out of business. In order to survive, Olin diversified the activities of the company.
The company bought a paper manufacturer (the Ecusta Paper Company in Pisgah Forest, North Carolina), a lead shot facility, an explosive primer facility, a cartridge brass manufacturing facility, and a fiber wad facility. The company also started its own brass mill. Together, these companies became the Western Cartridge Company. Through it, the Olins made a fortune supplying ammunition during World War I.
In 1931, Western bought the Winchester Company. Olin merged the two in 1935, forming Winchester-Western.
In 1944, the various Olin companies were organized under a new corporate parent, Olin Industries, Inc. At the time, Olin Industries and its subsidiary companies ran the St. Louis Arsenal and contributed to the war effort with manufacturing roles at the Badger Army Ammunition and Lake City Army Ammunition Plants. Olin’s New Haven and East Alton plants employed about 17,000 workers each—producing the guns and small-caliber ammunition needed during World War II. The war production helped the Olins to become one of the wealthiest American families of the time.
After the war, the Olins acquired the Mathieson Chemical Corporation—also founded in 1892. Then-unrelated to Olin, Mathieson Alkali Works began business in Saltville, Virginia, and in 1893 acquired its neighbor, the Holston Salt and Plaster Corp. Saltville then became a quintessential company town. In Saltville it produced chlorine and caustic soda, leaching a considerable amount of methylmercury (by the company’s own estimates, up to 100 pounds per day) into the soils and the North fork of the Holston River. This site was declared a Superfund site in 1982.
Afterward, the corporation diversified its interests into a wide variety of businesses, including plastics, cellophane, bauxite mining, automotive specialties, Ramset nailing tools, and home construction. The Olin Ski Company manufactured camping and skiing gear. (Olin skis are now produced under a licensing agreement by K2 Sports.)
Olin Industries and Mathieson Chemical merged in 1954 to form the Olin Mathieson Chemical Corporation. The new company had 35,000 employees, 46 domestic and 17 foreign plants. The company manufactured phenoxy herbicides and anti-crop agents for Fort Detrick under contract to the U.S. Army Chemical Corps. The company also manufactured electric batteries, marketing them for use in flashlights. John Olin retired in 1963; the following year, the company brought in hardware experienced executives to run Winchester. The new management team introduced cheap, forged-metal parts into the Winchester line, which eventually damaged the quality reputation Winchester had previously enjoyed.